Saturday, January 3, 2009

Thanksgiving Trip to Ohio

the captions on this post are off... hope you can figure it out, cause I can't figure out how to correct it... not sure what I did! :)
We left for Ohio, and headed for Athens. We were going to visit Ohio University for Jordan. We started Tuesday afternoon after I got off from work. We drove until we got to Lexington, and it was pretty late. I had packed up some groceries... so, we stopped at a "fine" hotel (It was really the only one we could find as we drove around late at night not really knowing where we were.) that was being remodeled if that is what they wanted to call it! We finally went to sleep and woke up semi- early and started getting ready for about 5 more hours of driving. The following picture is Jody drying Alex's hair because it was entirely too cold (20 degrees) to go out with a wet head. As we were pulling out of our hotel, the temperature guage started doing weird things... Jody got out and tended to that which wound up being an easy fix, but definitely set the mood for travel on a bad note! The directions were kinda screwy that we got off the internet. Needless to say we passed about 25 NICE hotels, that if we had just driven about 5 more miles, we would have gotten to them. I got us lost once and Jody got us lost once and it was just a very tense and crazy drive on back roads that were not clearly marked!




On those back roads we went in and out of West Virginia into Ohio two or three different times (not because we got lost but because that is actually what you were supposed to do the way went! CRAZY!) Every time we went in and out of W. V. and Ohio we crossed the Ohio River and traveled over some cool bridges like the one below:




We also went past a Nuclear Power Plant and Alex insisted that we take pictures. She thought that the structures were neat and had no idea what it really was.

We finally made it to Ohio University. It was pretty desolate because of the holidays, but it was still a beautiful campus and a good opportunity to just walk around and see what it is. We walked into the city of Athens, which I thought was very cool. We went to the book store... Jordan got a t-shirt, and Alex got a book.

Jordan at the "Main Gate" of Ohio University!


This is Lindley Hall. Where the ROTC is housed and hopefully if Jordan gets to go here, he will be doing the ROTC, also.

Finally... We made it to Scot and Tracey's house. AND... THERE WAS SNOW! The girls played out in it... A LOT!! They really do have so much fun together!






They played with their sweet dog Nicki. And Aunt Tracey was kind enough to pose for pictures, too.


Alex loved it there and Chase loves his Mommy!



Jody caught up with his Dad, who came over for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Alex and I went to the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium, while Uncle Rob and Jody worked at Pap-Pap's house to fix the ceiling in his bathroom. The zoo was pretty cool! But I especially like the aquarium.


Alex petting the sting rays and sand sharks!:


Some really big fish!:



The zoo had two really cute baby elephants that were only about 4 months old! We spent about an hour in the elephant house. They were so intriguing... I just wish I had had my video camera with me!

And the other large animal of our trip!! Hunter, the golden retriever. None of the pictures that I took do justice to the mammoth size of this dog. He is my father-in-law's dog... and he loves him so much. He also feeds him a ton. Now, as Dennis says, he is naturally (or unnaturally) a very large golden to begin with... but the size that he has gotten to is CRAZY! He eats as much as Denny! He is literally the size of a coffee table!

Alex and Pap-pap! LOOK! they have the exact same expression!









Alex helping put the finishing touches on Pap-pap's bathroom ceiling.


And now relaxing with Hunter! the Mammoth Dog!





Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lee said...

I like the nuclear power plant too! When we come back from Jasper and pass the Gorgas Steam Plant at night, I think it is the prettiest thing I have ever seen.

Does Jordan ever smile?

Beth said...

I LOVE this picture of Jody drying Alex's hair.. it's hilarious. Brings back memories of dad holding the hair dryer on one side of my head, not moving it, and me watching my hair get bigger by the second in the mirror. Dad's just don't know how to do it the same. ;)
The trip looks like it was a lot of fun. I think Alex may be a veterinarian when she grows up.. she's such an animal lover.

Lee said...

I think my reaction was because of the amount I had in my hands and how much absorbed in my skin. I had used it earlier in the day and nothing happened. I will wear gloves next time.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Jody, Casey, Jordan, and Alex
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker
Leelou Blogs