Friday, March 7, 2008

Cozumel Meriachi

The main thing that I loved about cozumel is all of the color. After our trip to the beach, we took a much more pleasant taxi ride to downtown Cozumel with a really nice guy.. (cant remember his name... maybe corey and erin can help me out?) Anyway, we had him drop us off at his recommended restaraunt. We specifically asked him what he thought was good, not a "touristy" kind of place. He took us to a place called "The Mission". A really neat place that was an completely outdoor restaraunt but you would never know it by the shelter overhead. I thought it was a very quaint place. We were getting pretty hungry, and they brought us out our "chips and salsa" (just like the mexican restaraunts in the u.s.) only they serve the chips around what is the best guacamole I have ever had... and I think everyone else agreed. We were pretty hungry so Corey asked the very Mexican water/bus boy for some "queso" (in the u.s. that is cheese dip, right?) Well, as I said before, the guy was very ethnic... ie did not speak english... very nice though... So he brought Corey a plate of grated cheese! We laughed at ourselves, and very politely waited for the waiter who spoke english to come back. So, when he came over, Corey explained that he wanted melted cheese, like a dip. That seems pretty logical, right? Well, they brought out a small iron skillet with melted cheese in it (probably the same cheese that was on the plate earlier). We all got a kick out of that... apparently cheese dip is an American thing... or it is just called something different there~! We all placed our order. the menu was translated so it was not that hard to figure out what you want, only apparently I cant read Spanish or English because I thought I was ordering something really authentic (Dont know exactly what it said, but it was interesting enough that I read the English as something authentic also.) Only when my plate came out... I had ordered shrimp cocktail! Albeit a good shrimp cocktail, it was not quite as authentic and exotic as I had hoped it would be. But, I loved this little place. About the time that we were finishing up lunch, a mariachi band came in... and I loved them! Corey proceeded to give me some quick lessons in photography for my new camera... so that I am not using the automated settings all the time... so the following pictures are the ones that I thought turned out pretty decent.

2 comments:

erin nolen said...

these stories made me laugh so hard!

i forgot that you ordered shrimp cocktail! hilarious.

also, the picture of me makes me laugh because it makes me remember how i couldn't enjoy my pina colada because i was told not to get any drinks with ice in them in mexico! which is why it is full! but i think someone finished it off for me...

i am in LOVE with the first picture. like i want a print of it!

thanks for posting these. i am working on getting some of ours up somehow/somewhere. i am so glad we went to mexico together...it was really fun.

Hershbine Family said...

thanks! I love the first one also...I think I was just playing at the time not really realizing what a good shot it really could have been had I widened the view to get more of the words and stuff and I will send the link to you to our server so that you can get it... and yes, I did finish the drink! I figured that everyone else had been sick... I would just take the chance on joining them.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Jody, Casey, Jordan, and Alex
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker
Leelou Blogs